Chambers County courthouses have had some interesting times. After the county seat was moved to Anahuac, temporary sites for county businesses were used, until the new official courthouse was built in 1912. Unfortunately, in 1935, this courthouse was razed by fire; due to some heroic efforts, court records were saved. Construction began quickly on the new courthouse building.
Barbers Hill Gushers
The Gushers were an adult men’s team in Barbers Hill, taking their name from the oil fields in play at the time.
Nicholas T. Schilling arrived in Texas following the Civil War, and practiced medicine in Cedar Bayou until his death in 1922. His medical building was built around 1900. Donated by his daughter, Annie, Dr. Schilling’s medical office was kept intact until she died in 1966. Then structure and contents, donated to Chambers County, came to Anahuac by barge to be preserved as a museum.
Statues at Fort Anahuac
Commissioned by the Chambers County Historical Commission in 2019, these statues depict the “First Stand” at Fort Anahuac Park. Designed as a tool for historical education and tourism, the project features life sized bronze statues of William B. Travis and his law partner Patrick Jack, sculpted by award winning Conrow artist Craig Campobella. Four wayside signs tell the story of the events at Anahuac, and feature paintings by noted artist and Alamo historian Gary Zaboly.
Thomas Jefferson Chambers Home
The most recognizable landmark in the county is Chambersea, or Chambersia, the final home of General Thomas Jefferson Chambers, his wife Abby Chubb Chambers, and their children. Located in Anahuac on Cummings Street, the current building is very close to the original construction of 1845.